Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Tambunan Village

Went home last night about 12.45 am. Joanna drove us to Tambunan at 5.30 pm, it was only me and her. We could've left earlier but we had to discuss about some niggles that needed approval from her as a president. And at the same time, she was making some changes on the itinerary for Dubai. Ching, my colleague who was responsible over the accounts dropped me at the States's Library headquarters. Ching was indeed a good person she can get all jittered up over small things as she was a perfectionist and very well-organised. Without her, I will be too idle needing not know what to do in the office. She gave me some directions on what to discuss on the table and gave me a head start while working here.

Upon reaching Tambunan at 7.30 pm. I was acquainted with the homestay owners. And I saw some very good dishes on the table. My tummy was a bit hungry by now. Hmm.. It was a good home I should say, layered in bricks. But the interior was very traditional. The table had table clothe on it. There was a staircase going to the top where the rooms are. Tightly spaced to accomodate the needs of the house-holders but cozy. It's like everywhere there is a memoir.

We proceeded in learning the Sompoton. The Sompoton is a traditional musical instrument made of small bamboos serving as multiple flutes tied on a single blowing apparatus by a gum and strips of rattan. I tried testing my breaths first on this instrument. One of the man from the village who spoke a thick accent was the one in charge of orchestrating them and he taught us how to play. The hymn that was chosen, was Amazing Grace. Wonderful piece of music! Little did it occurred to me that these instruments as simple as they are, as primitive they may seem, the man warned that they are not! They come from a very civilized society knowing the grace of music and the appreciation of the Art. There were few notes: G, A, C, D, E.. That's all there is there to know.. And two more higher notes of pitch.

Maybe after a little bit of time of sharing and bonding, we continued to have dinner. They were delicious! What they had on the course was a type of river fish which I've forgotten it's name. It was stirred fried with soya sauce and some slices of vegetable gourd. What makes it special is that it has a tangible taste of kantan in it. Kantan is a flower of wild ginger that may be sought in the jungle.

The meeting started soon while eating but it was hard to keep our hands to ourselves. So complete dedication to the meeting started as Joanna took up as the chairperson. She gave briefings on the itinerary and rationing of people who should take up jobs. So it was a long procession of ideas and informing what vegetables they had at the garden and how much can the villagers give in participating in this event. Such as vegetables of course needed to be sold or else they won't have a subsidy to re-plant them in their orchard. And that, personally, I think the cost of the gifts needed to be bought from the village are soo cheap. They offered to give only RM 10 per Sompoton! Imagine, that! For such an exquisite master piece. A pride that excels our culture. These people are too generous..

At 10.30 pm, we left Tambunan. Bye-bye! Sadly missed. It wasn't that late anyway, as the discussion was fruitful. There were many suggestions and I myself was excited. I was interested in knowing what's cuisine is about to be served. And I'd like to put my ideas right into it. But there was already a lady who's in charge of these foods, I was merely agreeing and hinted which food that would be good for the guests.

Catch me again later, as I give a preview of some homestays that there is available in Tambunan for instance. I would have to go there on this 12th again and stay there for 3 days with the villagers. It would give me a chance to get hands-on experience on what activities are held in the kampong for the purpose of hosting and lodging. At the mean time, look forward on my next updates for living in the land of paddy fields and buffaloes.

Sheena James

No comments: